Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Twitter

I've tried to use Twitter; I wanted to like it, wanted to feel the same way about it as I do facebook, but so far... well, I see it's potential but I haven't been bitten by the Twitter bug.

I logged into my Twitter account just about daily, read updates, casually looked at the some of the links being sent out and then logged back off. I sent a few messages including a few direct messages and replies, but I just couldn't seem to get 'connected'. I'm not saying this isn't my own fault, I could have sent more messages out there to solicit responses, and often I had that intention, but I found myself more often than not starring at the update screen wondering "what do I say"? I felt a bit overwhelmed with Twitter, I just never found a way to get clicked in.

BUT... I still see how Twitter could be very beneficial, especially as a networking tool. Most of those I follow are centered in the education community. Being a 'future' teacher, I don't have the same thoughts going through my head as many of them, for instance, I'm not looking for classroom tips and lesson plans, I'm trying to figure out how to finish my homework and study for an upcoming exam, all while cooking dinner, chauffeuring kids and trying to maintain some order in my house. I thought there were many good ideas thrown back and forth, they just weren't relative to me at this point. Once I am teaching in the classroom, I think Twitter could be a huge asset to search for information and learn new ideas.

I am interested in is sites like GroupTweet (www.grouptweet.com) that allow you to form groups of twitter users and then read posts from members only within that group. I like this idea. For instance, setting up a group of teachers at your school, or a group that teaches the same the grade level would allow you to isolate your comments and form a group discussion relevant to that group. Then you wouldn't need to filter through the dozens of comments that may or may not interest you, but concentrate on a smaller group. Using this feature, students could be setup into groups for class discussions. There are many possibilities, you just have to find them!

1 comment:

  1. I think I now know enough about Twitter to teach people how to use it effectively. We'll see whether I really do or not next semester. Always experimenting on my students!

    ReplyDelete