Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My EDM310 Experience

I have learned so much more from this class than I ever expected to!

Google Documents (docs, spreadsheets, forms, database) - I had no idea that these applications existed. Beside the fact that they're FREE, I love the accessibility. The ability to access them from any computer with an internet connection is awesome. Since learning about these programs at the beginning of the semester, I have taken advantage of them many, many times! I plan to spread the word about these programs... more people need to know about them.

Picassa - I had never heard of this program, but find it easy to use and really good! It's another program I plan to keep using.

Delicious - I didn't even know there were programs like this out there! It's one of the things we touched on that I still need to become more familiar with, but I do plan to take advantage of it.

Blogging - I had some experience with blogs, but after this semester, I know so much more, (especially about formatting them). I plan to use blogs in my classroom, I now see them as almost a necessity.

iTunes / Podcasts - I was pretty familiar with iTunes and had listened to a few podcasts before, but I didn't realize how many educational materials were available through iTunes (such as iTunesU). There's a lot of information available, certainly something to keep in mind for use in the classroom.

RSS Feeds - I always wondered how these worked, it's good to know how to take advantage of them now!

The only topic I wish we would have covered was creating websites, but in some ways, that's exactly what a blog is.

There's really nothing I wish we hadn't learned, I may not continue to use everything, but I'm glad I know about it.

Overall, my view of technology in the classroom has greatly changed. It's not that I felt it was completely unimportant, I just didn't realize how important it was! For that, I am grateful. I've seen how much is available on the internet (resources, information, ideas, etc.) and now know it may take a little time and patience to find what you're looking for, but it's there somewhere! I also see where networking can be very valuable. Being able to share ideas and stories helps keep us from constantly having to reinvent the wheel, we can become better teachers through each other.

I loved this class! :)

1 comment:

  1. And I loved having you in it! A room full of Helens would have been wonderful!

    ReplyDelete